Am I Engladian or Canenglish?

Monday, October 02, 2006

There She Blows!

We've had to deal with some pretty nasty weather recently. The wind zoomed up to 90 km/h two weekends ago and managed to not only knock some trees onto hydro wires, but also totally uproot some of the huge pine trees we have around here! I couldn't believe my eyes when I went out to my car Sunday morning to go to work. I spent about 5 minutes throwing branches off the driveway only to discover that there were branches and trees all over the road!! There was even an enormous pine tree just across the road from me that had totally come out of the ground and was resting dangerously on another tree. I actually swore out loud!!! What should have taken me five minutes to get to work ended up taking my about half an hour. Every road I seemed to take had a tree fallen right across it. The hydro was out all over the place, people's houses had been crushed, and hydro wires dangled dangerously by the roads. It was kind of neat to watch the hydro repairmen cut the tree down in front of our house. They seemed to cut and cut until it was practically standing upright in the middle of the road, but still hooked on another tree. The guy with the chain saw would cut and then run for it! It took them about an hour and a half to get the tree safely to the ground.
It was the annual Turkey Dinner this weekend, which I didn't go to (I feel it's a bit of a rip off and you feel like you're being rushed), but I did go to the fireworks afterwards. The fireworks were held at the beach and were launched from the boat dock. It was cool to hear them echo across the lake. The little boy I was with was pretending to get shot (boys will be boys). They used to launch them from one of the Islands (Rocky Island) and it was always much nicer. They used to do this waterfall effect at the end as the grand finale...very cool!
It was funny, and maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" moments, but I was talking to this 9 year old boy who was saying that when he becomes a teenager his older sister would have to be his mom. Curiosity set in, and when asked why his mom now wouldn't be his mom when he was a teenager he said, "because she'll be retired!" I found it quite amusing, and trying to keep a straight face it was explained to him that his mom would always be his mom.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:07 p.m., Blogger Manda said…

    That's hilarious, the kid I mean, not the wind. I'm glad I can leave comments now :-) By the way -why can't mommy's retire. I think the kid is onto something!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home